Now that it looks like we'll all be spending more and more time indoors over the coming weeks and months, we rounded up some of the best music documentaries to stream online.
N.B. Both Netflix and Amazon Prime offer free 30-day trials that can be cancelled at the end of that period.
Top Netflix Picks
- This Was Tomorrow - A 10th anniversary celebration of the world-conquering Tomorrowland Festival.
- FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened – The Fyre Festival was billed as a luxury music experience on a posh private island, but it failed spectacularly in the hands of a cocky entrepreneur.
- HOMECOMING: A Film by Beyoncé – This intimate, in-depth look at Beyoncé's celebrated 2018 Coachella performance reveals the emotional road from creative concept to cultural movement.
- Keith Richards Under The Influence - An intimate look at the legendary Rolling Stones guitarist.
- What Happened Miss Simone - Mixing rare footage with never-before heard recordings, this tells the tale of legendary singer and activist Nina Simone.
- 20 Feet From Stardom - An Oscar-winning film that looks into the unsung, heroic world of backup singers. Including interviews with Stevie Wonder, Darlene Love, Mick Jagger, Sting, Bette Midler, Bruce Springsteen & more.
- Travis Scott: Look Mum I Can Fly – While crafting his Grammy-nominated album "Astroworld," Travis Scott juggles controversy, fatherhood and career highs in this intimate documentary.
- Biggie & Tupac – British documentarian Nick Broomfield investigates the murders of rappers Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls, digging up some surprises in the process.
Gems on Amazon Prime
- Bob Marley: The Spiritual Journey - Using newsreel clips and interviews, this documentary attempts to present Bob Marley's true impact on the world.
- Punk's Not Dead - An in-depth look at punk rock: how it begun, developed and exists in today's music spectrum.
- Made In America - A behind-the-scenes peek at the creation of Jay-Z's Made In America festival.
- Marc Bolan: Ride On - Through an interview with Marc Bolan's first manager, this documentary examines the history of "The First Man Of Glitter & Glam".
- Altered By Elvis - A heartfelt and humourous tale of how lives have been changed by the King of Rock n Roll.
- Johnny Cash: The Line - From concert footage to rare photos, this feature is a highly rated tribute to "The Man In Black."
- Shut Up And Play the Hits – A look at the last days of LCD Soundsystem - one of the most celebrated bands of its generation.
- Bohemian Rhapsody – Rami Malek stars as Freddie Mercury in this electrifying story of the meteoric rise of Queen to rock-and-roll stardom.
- Gimme Shelter – Called the greatest rock film ever made, this landmark documentary follows the Rolling Stones on their notorious 1969 U.S. tour.
- Nas: Time is Illmatic – The story behind Nas's groundbreaking debut album Illmatic, and the early life of one of the most talented rappers of all time.
- Finding Fela – Finding Fela tells the story of Fela Anikulapo Kuti's life, his music, his social and political importance.
Free to Stream Online
If Netflix and Amazon Prime aren't your scene, here are some totally legal Youtube playlists or accounts you can check out instead:
- Pitchfork's Documentary Playlist - Featuring artists such as Diplo, Étienne de Crécy and Mac DeMarco, as well as clips on the subject of 'The State Of The Vinyl Business' or 'A Hip Hop Guided Tour Of Compton', Pitchfork has produced over 60 videos to choose from.
- Noisey's Collections - An endless selection covers 'The British Masters' series, a short clip series interviewing producers Russell Simmons & Rick Rubin, and a playlist called 'Found Tapes' which includes an intriguing 56-minute video called 'Michael Jackson's Strange Trip to Moscow'.
- MTV'S Rebel Music - From Iran to Senegal, this series focuses on young artists creating music for the power of change.
- SeriousFeatherFilms - 'Liverpool: Beyond The Beatles', 'Manchester" Beyond Oasis' and 'Iceland:Beyond Sigur Rós' all feature in a look at the cultural significance of locations that have spawned great art.